We’re Hiring: Controller
The Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan is seeking a Controller to play a key leadership role in the growing financial operations and services of the Community Foundation.
The Community Foundation creates permanent, positive change in southeast Michigan through thoughtful philanthropy. The Community Foundation is building permanent endowment for the region and helping individuals, families, and businesses fulfill their charitable goals. The Foundation is recognized in the top 25 community foundations in the U.S. with more than $900 million in assets, granting more than $1 billion through nearly 67,000 grants since our founding.
Reporting to the vice president, finance and administration, the controller manages daily accounting and finance operations of the Community Foundation and is responsible for maintaining and continuously improving the system of financial control. The controller supervises two accountants and a financial assistant and will interact with a diverse team of colleagues. The position is responsible for the monthly accounting process, including monthly financial statement preparation. The controller takes the lead in the preparation for the annual financial audit and of the annual tax returns; the preparation of the annual budget and provides information and reporting to support Foundation staff as well as external partners.
Role Responsibilities Breakdown
- Accounting Operations Oversight 40%
- Financial Reporting and Compliance 40%
- Strategy & Analysis and Talent Management 20%
The Controller will be:
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment;
- Mentally quick and nimble;
- A collaborative co-worker with the ability to work independently but also contribute to team efforts;Service oriented;
- Focused on continuous improvement;
- Goal and deadline driven;
- Structure driven;
The controller will operate with the highest standards of integrity and trust, as well as have extensive working knowledge of accounting and financial statement principles, experience with fund accounting and investment accounting.
- A minimum of five years related work experience is required, including supervision.
- Requisite skills include planning, managing, and implementing projects and handling tasks while
- A master’s degree in accounting or finance and/or CPA license is required.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products with an advanced skill level in Excel is required.
The Community Foundation is in the heart of downtown Detroit, located near Campus Martius, the Riverfront and many parks and restaurants. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life/LTD insurances, paid parking, along with paid sick, personal, holiday and vacation time. A 403(b) savings plan is available, along with a Foundation funded pension program.
Qualified candidates can apply at cfsem.org/controller.