Job Opportunity: Senior Accountant
The Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan seeks an exceptional, talented individual to support its team as it continues to create permanent, positive change in southeast Michigan through thoughtful philanthropy. With generous support from thousands of donors, the Community Foundation is building permanent endowment for the region and helping individuals, families and businesses fulfill their charitable goals. The Community Foundation invites applications and expressions of interest for the position of Senior Accountant.
The Senior Accountant will support the finance team in performing and reviewing various accounting and financial activities of the Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan and its supporting organizations. The position’s responsibilities are intended to grow and evolve in content and complexity over time.
Responsibilities for this role include: reconciling complex bank and investments accounts, performing monthly close including preparation of journal entries, preparing or assisting with monthly financial reports, assisting in reviewing internal financial statements and narratives and performing budget versus actual variance analysis, and other tax and compliance responsibilities including 1099 preparation and annual reporting to the State and the IRS.
- Reconcile complex bank and investment accounts. Record investment performance, sales, purchases, and other activity using FIMS (accounting software).
- Perform monthly close including preparation of journal entries. Research transactions and explainvariances.
- Process accounts payable transactions (including vendors, grantees, and charitable gift annuities.)
- Review payments to subrecipients of federal awards.
- Reconcile and value pledges, gifts of marketable securities.
- Prepare or assist with monthly financial reports.
- Prepare ad-hoc reports for a variety of funds, including donor advised fund statements.
- Prepare various reports including budget vs. actual reports for departments and special projects, financial dashboards and other reports as needed.
- Assist in reviewing internal financial statements and narratives and performing budget versus actual variance analyses.
- Assist with the annual financial audit and single audit, including preparing schedules, gathering information, drafting and/or reviewing draft audited financial statements and footnote disclosures, and reconciling amounts and information to financial records and supporting schedules.
- Assist with the annual preparation and filing of IRS Form 990 and other federal, state and local tax and information returns, including preparing schedules, gathering information, drafting and/or reviewing the returns, and reconciling amounts and information to financial records and supporting schedules.
- Other tax and compliance responsibilities include 1099 preparation, annual reporting to the State and IRS.
- Act as an internal resource for financial questions and requests for information.
- Compile various external financial surveys and requests for information.
- Transcribe audit and investment committee meeting minutes.
- Provide support to the Controller and Vice President, Finance and Administration and perform additional duties as requested.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting
- Detail oriented with a high attention to quality and accuracy
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks including prioritizing, organizing, and meeting deadlines
- Non-Profit fund accounting experience and/or public accounting experience preferred
- Expert Microsoft Excel skills (pivot tables and v-lookups)
- 5+ years of relevant experience
Qualified individuals who express an interest in applying for the Senior Accountant position should submit an electronic version of their cover letter and resume via the Apparatus Solutions career portal.
The Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan is committed to diversity and inclusion throughout the region and within our organization, including our staff and volunteers. In order to provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions at the Community Foundation will be based on merit, qualifications and abilities without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, height, weight, political or union affiliation, disability or any other factor prohibited by law.