Whether you prefer to have a silent partner who provides behind-the-scenes consultation or an active philanthropic advisor who has a one-on-one meeting to discuss charitable giving with you and your client, the Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan will tailor charitable giving strategies to meet your clients’ needs, strengthen your relationship with your clients, and maximize your client’s community impact.
We will work with your clients to accept the gift, maintain and administer the appropriate charitable vehicle, and distribute grants for the charitable causes or the nonprofit organizations your clients wish to support.
We can work with you and your colleagues to raise awareness of the importance of charitable giving, provide technical assistance with planned gifts, analyze gift transactions, and share our extensive knowledge of our region and the people we serve.
Wide Variety of Gift Types
Whether it’s a one-time donation or contributions over the course of several years, we accept a wide variety of assets, including:
- Cash, check, wire or online donation
- Publicly traded securities
- Mutual Fund Shares
- Closely held business interests
- Real estate
- Intellectual Property
- Fully paid life insurance policies
- Retirement plan assets
Facilitating A Unique Gift
The A. Paul and Carol C. Schaap Fund
In the 1980s, a discovery made by Wayne State University chemistry professor A. Paul Schaap helped revolutionize medical diagnostics and launch a very successful business. The professor developed a light-emitting molecule — similar to the luminescence found in a firefly’s tail — which can be used to detect AIDS, cancer, hepatitis and other diseases. The company Schaap founded, Lumigen, is now the world’s largest supplier of chemical luminents to the diagnostic market.
Dr. Schaap and his wife, Carol, established a fund at the Community Foundation using the proceeds of the patent for this discovery. This fund has helped them support the university and its chemistry program in multiple ways, including through contributions to the A. Paul Schaap Chemistry Building and Lecture Hall. The state-of-the-art facility has earned a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver rating for energy and environmental performance.
Paul and Carol C. Schaap have made a lasting impact on students and faculty with their gifts to the chemistry department at Wayne State University. The Community Foundation supports their philanthropic giving with expertise and services that are designed to maximize both their tax advantages and the philanthropic impact of their gift.
Your clients may be eligible for an immediate tax deduction when establishing a charitable fund. They may choose from a number of types of charitable funds, most of which can be established for as little as $10,000.
- Unrestricted – The most flexible of our funds, empowering the Community Foundation to identify and support projects that address urgent needs and unforeseen opportunities with an enduring legacy of public good.
- Field of Interest – These funds identify a focus area — such as the arts, youth or the environment — to support in perpetuity. The Community Foundation will make grants from the fund to partners doing work in the field of interest.
- Designated – These funds provide a permanent income stream to one or more designated nonprofit organizations from a single fund.
- Scholarship – Scholarship funds help students throughout our region achieve their educational goals. The Community Foundation oversees the application process, coordinates with educational institutions, and tracks academic performance.
- Donor Advised – An individual, family, business or private foundation can establish a donor-advised fund. These funds allow donors to appoint advisors to recommend grants and have an ongoing, active role in charitable giving. (Learn More)
- Charitable Gift Annuity – These funds are invested to provide an income stream to one or two individuals during their lifetime(s) with the remainder of the gift supporting a named charitable fund.
- Supporting Organizations – A supporting organization is a separate legal entity managed by the Community Foundation. It offers the favorable tax benefits of a public charity, while leveraging our financial management and grantmaking expertise.
We Are Your Local Philanthropy Experts
Since 1984, the Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan has helped thousands of people make permanent, positive change in the region. With a deep knowledge of community needs and local organizations, the Community Foundation is the perfect “one-stop-shop” for your clients’ charitable planning.
Throughout our history, we have collaborated with professional advisors in Michigan by connecting their clients with the causes they care about most through the appropriate gift vehicles, enhancing their clients’ estate and legacy planning, and improving the quality of life for our region and our residents.
We Can Help Your Clients Fulfill Their Charitable Goals
For a consultation, please contact our Philanthropic Services department at 313.961.6675 or use the form below: