Ways to donate and help immigrant families
Jul 22nd 2019 In General
Regardless of immigration status, individuals and families at the southern border and across the U.S. are facing significant challenges.
As part of our services, the Community Foundation helps donors identify charities that may be of interest for their giving. If you are looking to help immigrant families at the border and in Michigan, we’ve compiled the short list below; it includes some organizations doing critical work. Here are some good options on ways to give:
Locally, these are the two organizations providing support:
- Michigan Immigrant Rights Center (https://michiganimmigrant.org/) – a statewide program of the Michigan Advocacy Program that responds not only to the family separation crisis, but also to other significant efforts to restrict the rights of immigrants.
- Freedom House (https://www.freedomhousedetroit.org/ )– provides temporary housing for indigent survivors of persecution from around the world who are seeking asylum in the United States and Canada.
Nationally, here are some organizations to consider supporting:
- American Civil Liberties Union Foundation Inc.* (https://www.aclu.org/issues/immigrants-rights) – The ACLU’s national office established the Immigrant Rights Project to oversee urgent litigation to try to address the separation policy. *Note that the ACLU Foundation is the 501(c)(3) arm of the ACLU.
- Al Otro Lado https://alotrolado.org/ – serves indigent deportees, migrants, and refugees in Los Angeles and Tijuana, Mexico.
- Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services (RAICES) (https://www.raicestexas.org/about/ – largest immigration nonprofit in Texas offering free and low-cost legal services to immigrant children and families
If you would like to support the Community Foundation’s grantmaking efforts for immigrant and refugee programming, please use the following donation form.