Applying for Grants
The Detroit Journalism Engagement Fund will award $200,000 through a fourth round of grants in late 2020. While we do not have a set grant range, applicants should be aware that the larger the amount requested, the more competitive the application will need to be. Applicants should base the amount requested on the scope of the project.
Who May Apply
- Applicants must either be 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations or have a strong nonprofit fiscal sponsor with 501(c)(3) tax exemption status that will serve as the applicant.
- Media-specific organizations or community organizations that are proposing to collaborate with a media-specific organization
- Organizations located in and/or serve southeast Michigan, with a preference toward a focus on Detroit
- Current DJEF grantees are eligible to apply, if it is for the next phase of their current projects. Applications must outline how the proposed plan ties in with the larger sustainability strategy for the organization, such as growth in earned revenue, requesting a matching fund requirement, or other strategy.
- See Grantmaking Guidelines below for more details.
From November 2 to December 11, you are invited to submit your idea.
Awards will be made in February 2021.
- November 2, 2020: Application opens! Follow the steps below to apply.
- November 27, 2020: Deadline to register in online grant system, if you are not already registered.
- December 11, 2020: Application Deadline!
- February 2021: Grant decisions and award information will be made and shared with applicants.
- March 2021: Awards will be publicly announced.
How To Apply
From November 2 to December 11, you are invited to submit your idea. Awards will be made in February 2021.