Applying for Grants
While we do not have a set grant range, applicants should be aware that the larger the amount requested, the more competitive the application will need to be. Applicants should base the amount requested on the scope of the project.
Who May Apply
- Applicants must either be 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations or have a strong nonprofit fiscal sponsor with 501(c)(3) tax exemption status that will serve as the applicant.
- Media-specific organizations or community organizations that are proposing to collaborate with a media-specific organization
- Organizations located in and/or serve southeast Michigan, with a preference toward a focus on Detroit
- Current DJEF grantees are eligible to apply, if it is for the next phase of their current projects. Applications must outline how the proposed plan ties in with the larger sustainability strategy for the organization, such as growth in earned revenue, requesting a matching fund requirement, or other strategy.
- See Grantmaking Guidelines below for more details.
- June 1, 2023: Application opens
- June 26: Deadline to register in online grant system, if you are not already registered.
- July 7: Application deadline
- August 2023: Grant decisions and award information will be made and shared with applicants.
- September 2023: Awards will be publicly announced.