Frequently asked questions about the Pontiac Funders Collaborative. If you have any other questions, please contact email@example.com.
How are grants made through the Pontiac Funders Collaborative?
- Grants from the Pontiac Funders Collaborative are only made in the seven funding areas described.
- Grants are awarded through an open competitive process or by invitation managed by the Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan. The grant cycles are annual and begin during various parts of the year.
- To learn about grant opportunities, sign up for our email list at the bottom of this page.
How is the Pontiac Funders Collaborative involved in the Pontiac Collective Impact Partnership?
- The Pontiac Funders Collaborative began to meet with a group of community leaders in Pontiac in late 2019 and early 2020. The group came together around a framework called Collective Impact. In this framework, cross sector partners work together to improve outcomes within the community. They utilize shared data and rely on each other’s unique skills and resources to accomplish goals that benefit the community as a whole.
- The Pontiac Funders Collaborative helped to convene the group and made a grant to support the building of an organizational structure, a planning process to establish measurable outcomes, and the administrative services needed to move the work forward. Members of the Pontiac Funders Collaborative continue to be involved in the partnership as representatives on its Leadership Council.
How do the different funding areas relate to the collective impact process?
- The Pontiac Collective Impact Partnership is a grant funded project of the Pontiac Funders Collaborative. Grant decisions by the Pontiac Funders Collaborative are informed by its involvement with the Pontiac Collective Impact Partnership. By meeting frequently with community members in this way, we stay informed of needs and opportunities in the community and are able to see where there are connections between the priorities of the Pontiac Collective Impact Partnership and our funding areas.
Do funders in the Pontiac Funders Collaborative fund outside of the Collaborative?
- The nine members of the Pontiac Funders Collaborative may fund outside of the Collaborative. The Collaborative provides one approach for the individual foundations to work within Pontiac and with other foundations in the area. Each foundation has a different process within their organizations based on their foundation’s priorities and processes.
If I receive a grant from an organization that is in the Pontiac Funders Collaborative, can I still receive a grant from the Collaborative?
- If you receive a grant from a member of the Pontiac Funders Collaborative, you may still be eligible to receive a grant from the Collaborative.
- Being a member of the Pontiac Collective Impact Partnership is not required to receive a grant from the Collaborative or other individual funders.
What is the Pontiac Funders Collaborative’s grantmaking process?
- The Pontiac Funders Collaborative is organized into 7 committees that align with our funding areas. Each committee researches and discusses grant making opportunities with local experts to understand local needs. The committee agrees on the approach and the project director begins the grant process for potential grantees. The committee recommends the grants to the Pontiac Funders Collaborative’s advisory council. Final grant decisions are approved by the Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan’s Board.
How long will the Pontiac Funders Collaborative work in Pontiac?
- The Pontiac Funders Collaborative is a three-year initiative of nine regional foundations working together in Pontiac. At the three year mark, the group will evaluate their work and determine if they will continue working together through the Collaborative. Members of the Collaborative may continue investing in Pontiac outside of the Pontiac Funders Collaborative approach.
This section will provide definitions of words commonly used as part of the Pontiac Funders Collaborative’s work with the community in Pontiac.
- A term that refers to support through funding or training that develops staff skills and organizational systems.
- Shared grantmaking priorities areas designed to achieve the vision and shared goals of the Pontiac Funders Collaborative initiative.
Pontiac Collective Impact Partnership
- Collective impact is a framework that helps cross-sector partners collaborate together and with residents. It helps diverse partners, such as residents, nonprofits, businesses, the school district, local government, and funders who all work on different issues, develop and implement a common vision and measurable outcomes for the future. The Pontiac Collective Impact Partnership utilizes this framework and is supported by a grant of the Pontiac Funders Collaborative.
Stay up to date with the latest from the Pontiac Funders Collaborative