How to Apply
Here are a few key facts about applications to the Youth Leadership Fund:
- Grants generally range in size from $2,500 to $20,000 and are made twice a year
- Grants are made only to youth-led programs, meaning that youth are involved in the vision for the project, the development of the application, and will be involved in implementing the work if a grant is received; it’s great if the youth have adult allies who are assisting or supporting them in their effort, but youth must be involved for a grant to be considered
- Proposed projects should enhance young people’s knowledge of critical issues facing southeast Michigan
- Proposed projects should strengthen existing partnerships or promote new partnerships that can bring together young people of different backgrounds
- School districts may apply in addition to 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations; thus, if a group of youth is working within their school to better their community in some way, the district may apply for support for the project
- Applications will be reviewed by a group of young people the Community Foundation oversees called the Youth Advisory Committee; they make grant recommendations to the Community Foundation’s Board
- Important Note: You must be registered in our online grants management system, Fluxx, in order to begin an application. If you think you will apply for a grant, you should go on the site now and register your organization. Registration only needs to happen once, but is required before you can submit an application.
The Youth Leadership Fund has two grant cycles each year.
- If the proposal is submitted prior to February 15, a response will be received in June.
- If the proposal is submitted prior to August 15, a response will be received in December.