The following 10 grants, totaling $163,000, were among those provided by the Ralph C. Wilson, Jr. Legacy Funds managed by the Community Foundation through an open, competitive application process.
- Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute — $20,000 for a program for cancer caregivers in metro Detroit in collaboration with arts and culture organizations
- Cancer Support Community of Greater Ann Arbor — $14,000 for psychosocial needs of Washtenaw County cancer caregivers to cope with the burdens of cancer
- Dementia and Alzheimer’s Resource Committee, Inc. — $25,000 for a St. Clair County respite and relief program for primary caregivers of individuals dementia located in rural areas
- Gilda’s Club-Metro Detroit — $12,000 for psychosocial programs to address the needs of caregivers using educational opportunities and activities focused on underserved communities in Detroit
- Hannan Center — $13,500 for expansion and evaluation of the DayBreak+ program providing targeted respite opportunities for informal caregivers of older adults in the Detroit area
- Jewish Family Service of Metropolitan Detroit — $12,500 for the expansion of a program to provide essential supplies, equipment and professional respite opportunities in Oak Park and Southfield
- Life Skills Centers, Inc. — $10,000 for a program designed to benefit caregivers of individuals living with Alzheimer’s, dementia and memory impairments in St. Clair County
- SAGE Metro Detroit — $20,000 for MiGen’s caregiving support group, a peer support initiative for caregiving partners, friends and family members of aging LGBTQ+ community members
- The Art Experience, Inc. — $14,000 for a pilot program focusing on art therapy for caregivers in Oakland County
- YMCA of Monroe — $22,000 for a program for caregivers of individuals with Alzheimer’s, cancer and/or other diagnoses to promote physical, emotional and mental well-being, and respite care
Grant application timeline
- Oct. 17, 2023: Application opens.
- 5 p.m. Dec. 6, 2023: Deadline to register in Fluxx, if you aren’t already registered.
- 5:00 p.m. Dec. 15, 2023: Application deadline.
- Late April 2024: Grantee award and decline notifications will be sent. Funded projects can begin.
- May 2024: Grants will be announced publicly.