We’re Hiring: Senior Accountant
The Senior Accountant provides support for the accounting and financial activities of the Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan and its supporting organizations.
The Senior Accountant reports directly to the Controller and assists in the monthly financial process to ensure that financial statements and donor statements are prepared in a timely manner along with monthly and quarterly reconciliations of individual investment accounts and investment pools. The Senior Accountant helps ensure the accuracy of all transactions and confidentiality of information.
The position’s responsibilities are intended to grow and evolve in content and complexity over time.
- Prepare and enter journal entries, both manually and by import, into the Community Foundation’s fund accounting software
- Reconcile monthly bank accounts and investment statements
- Calculate values for gifts of securities
- Respond to external and internal requests for information
- Update and review special project budget reports and departmental budget reports
- Assist in the annual operating budget process
- Prepare, review and distribute annual IRS Forms 1099 MISC and 1099 R
- Assist in the preparation for the annual IRS Forms 990 and 990T as well as other filings
- Provide support to the annual audit process
- Assist with the maintenance of operating procedures
- Assist with records retention, including the electronic conversion of records
- Provide support to the accounts payable, grant payment, and charitable gift annuity distribution processes
- Prepare and review quarterly donor statements
- Assists in the recordkeeping and reporting for federal grants
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- Minimum 3 years professional accounting experience
- Experience with fund accounting and related software
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word
- Ability to manage multiple tasks including prioritizing, organizing and meeting deadlines
- Ability to think critically, analyze and assess
- Ability to handle confidential information in a professional manner
- Non-profit experience and/or public accounting experience is preferred
The targeted salary for those entering this role is $68,800-$86,000.
The Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan offers a robust benefits package including 20 days of vacation accrued monthly, 5 personal days, 11 holidays, 9 sick days accrued monthly, paid parental leave, and employer paid short/long-term disability.
The Community Foundation also offers a pension retirement program after 1 year of service which contributes 10% of salary.
Internal applicants will be reviewed before external applicants and the deadline for all applications is Friday, June 16, and those received before that deadline will take priority in our review process. Please send your cover letter, resume and salary requirements to Livia Slebodnik, human resources generalist at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To provide equal employment opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions will be based on merit, qualifications and abilities without regard to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, height, weight, political or union affiliation, disability or any factor prohibited by law.