Read the latest news, stories and blog posts about the important work and impact of The HOPE Fund in southeast Michigan.
Grants & Impact
The HOPE Fund provides grants and technical assistance to nonprofit organizations serving the local LGBTQ+ community.
Grants & Impact
Join with donors across the region and make your gift today to support the work of organizations serving the LGBTQ+ community in southeast Michigan.
Leading the Way
In 1994, concerned civic leaders collaborated with the Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan to confront a challenge. The LGBTQ+ community — from youth to seniors — desperately lacked essential human and social services. Few nonprofit agencies offered LGBTQ+-friendly programs, while LGBTQ+-led organizations were underfunded and understaffed.
In response, The HOPE Fund was created as a grantmaking and technical assistance program to focus on strengthening organizations and projects that serve the LGBTQ+ community. In 1995, a pivotal $43,000 challenge grant was received from the national Funders for LGBTQ Issues that helped to launch the initiative.
In the nearly three decades since its inception, generous donors have contributed more than $4 million to support The HOPE Endowment Fund, its grantmaking program, and related efforts such as the Racial Equality Initiative.
Positively Impacting the LGBTQ+ Community
To date, more than 163 grants totaling over $2.2 million have been distributed, resulting in a more responsive, creative array of services, programs and organizations for southeast Michigan’s LGBTQ+ community. The HOPE Fund endowment continues to grow and will be able to meet any future needs of the community.
The HOPE Fund is the first partnership of its kind in Michigan between the LGBTQ+ community and a community foundation. This unique structure within the Community Foundation benefits the LGBTQ+ community by providing:
- Support for capacity-building for LGBTQ+ agencies which leads to increased efficiency internally
- Support for efforts involving two or more agencies that serve the LGBTQ+ community to collaborate in meaningful ways, leading to more efficiency and impact in the community
- Support for efforts that increase the effectiveness, voice and visibility of the LGBTQ+ community in the state of Michigan
Supporting HOPE for the Future
Your support is important. We ask you to consider supporting The HOPE Fund today. Here are some ways you can make a difference in the LGBTQ+ community:
- Give to HOPE’s Annual Fund: Many organizations need support today. The HOPE Annual Fund provides immediate support for a variety of program areas, including youth leadership development, organizational capacity building, and support for LGBTQ+ seniors.
- The HOPE Endowment Fund: The needs of the LGBTQ+ community continue to change. As we’ve seen with the pandemic, this fund allows the Community Foundation to respond to needs as they arise over time.
- The LGBT Racial Equity Endowment Fund: This fund supports programs that promote racial equity and supports LGBTQ+ people of color in southeast Michigan.
Thank you for your support of The HOPE Fund. We welcome hearing from you. For more information about The HOPE Fund or to identify needs you see in our community, please contact us.
The HOPE Fund Committee is a dedicated group of community leaders and advocates. They are responsible for fund development efforts, and serve as advisors for the grant applications that are submitted.
Stacey E. Cassis
Sabin D. Blake
|Mark D. Blanke
Karen C. Brown
Derek E. Daniels
Gilbert M. Frimet
Allan D. Gilmour
Henry M. Grix
Howard W. Israel
Jan R. Stevenson
Father Anthony P. Sulkowski Jr.
Suzanne K. Wait
Thomas P. Wilczak
Stay Connected with The HOPE Fund
Questions? Feel free to contact
Senior Program Officer
313.961.6675, ext. 123
Contact Surabhi for grant-related questions
Philanthropic Services Officer
313.961.6675, ext. 109
Contact Emily for donor-related questions