Local youth organizations receive over $250,000 in grants from the Russell Family Foundation
Eight organizations serving the youth of southeast Michigan will benefit from over $250,000 in recent grants from the Russell Family Foundation.
The Russell Family Foundation, a Supporting Organization of the Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan, is dedicated to providing the means to improve and sustain the quality of life for youth in our communities.
Recent projects supported by the Russell Family Foundation include:
- Apex Academy: $50,000 to support for the personal, professional, and academic development of student-athletes and $20,000 to support general operating expenses for youth sports programming
- Detroit Food Academy: $27,500 to support improving organizational infrastructure, skills, and capacity
- Detroit Horse Power: $27,500 to support an urban equestrian center with expanded educational programming
- Forgotten Harvest, Inc.: $27,500 to support improving access for children to healthy food
- Girls Group: $27,500 to support a high school readiness program that addresses academic, social, and emotional transitions
- Racquet Up Detroit: $27,500 to support a student recruitment drive as part of its expansion into a new facility
- Therapeutic Riding, Inc.: $27,500 for support to expand para-equestrian programming throughout southeast Michigan
- University of Detroit Jesuit High School and Academy: $27,500 support for the renovation of a recreation and park to benefit community members and students
A Supporting Organization is a separate corporation managed by the Community Foundation.
These public charities have separate Boards of Trustees and may have separate investment counselors. Supporting Organizations benefit from the professional support of Community Foundation staff, who assist in the administration of their funds.
Supporting Organizations offer donors significant advantages — including favorable tax status and full participation in grantmaking and investment decisions — while avoiding the financial and management burdens that private foundations often encounter.